Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Fishing again - two ACEO size tropical fish watercolors

From time to time I go back to these cute little fishes and paint a couple of them. These are quite funny with their stripes!



Friday, 21 April 2017

Another take on the three pears

Exploring another limited palette to achieve high color contrast, in this little watercolor (card size) I used some colors which are not on my usual palette: Sennelier Pthalo Turquoise, Camel Permanent Yellow Deep, and Rembrandt Transparent Red Oxide. I like the result very much, and I came to the conclusion that I love the Pthalo Turquoise. I am going to test the Permanent Yellow Deep other manufacturers (probably Sennelier and W&N) to add it to my extended palette (I got a new box which holds up to 48 half-pans - many colors to add). I am not so sure that I like or need the Transparent Red Oxide - maybe I just didn't exploit it at full potential. It is a nice earth red, but when it dries it is a bit dull, and without mixing it with the yellow I wouldn't like it for this still life. It might be a good choice for landscape paintings.

Thursday, 13 April 2017

Poinsettia flower

I did this little painting back in December 2016, but I didn't had the chance to post it. It is only 7x5 inches, and it is painted on Arches 140lb Hot Pressed watercolor paper with my usual palette (a mixture of pigments from W&N, Daniel Smith, American Journey).

Monday, 10 April 2017

Tree exercises

Not having much time to paint lately, so only playing with the colors for fun.

Sunday, 9 April 2017

Some more depth studies

Trying different things to get the feeling of depth and sunshine in landscapes.




Friday, 7 April 2017

Atmospheric depth with a few layers of watercolor washes

During one of the workshop sessions at the Community Center I was showing to the attendants how to achieve atmospheric depth with a few layers of watercolor washes. Due to the time needed to let each layer dry, we only worked with a limited number of washes (5 to 8), and eventually pushing the strength of the last ones. But at least the first 3 layers were done by glazing one layers after the other of the exact same week mixture of paint and water. Although it takes time, I think it is worth practicing glazes.






Monday, 3 April 2017

TAE17 - my Red Pears found a new home

I am so glad that my Red Pears little painting found a new home, as artist  got it at the opening evening of the TAE17 exhibit! It seems that TAE is growing every year, with more and more artists sending cards, and more money being raised each year. This year, more than 1000 cards were sent, and only at the opening night more than 10.000 US$ were collected from the sales! If you are in London, visit the exhibit, as there are so many beautiful cards left! It is also wonderful that this year, when the actual exhibit will end, the online selling of the left cards will start!
Congratulations to the organizers, wonderful job!!!