Monday 7 April 2014

Crockery Shop watercolor painting, with step-by-step progress demonstration

For the March 28 WDE our host, KreativeK, shared with us a great collection of reference photos, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank her again! Among the photos, I was attracted by the variation of shapes of a photo showing some crockery (pottery) in a shop window. Although the lighting was poor, and the reference photo had a rather poor composition, I decided to give it a try. After a couple of sketches on paper, trying to move the pots around and change shapes to get an attractive composition, I decided to also change colors (in the reference all the crockery were white with blue details). I took many liberties with this one, and I do like many of the achievements very much, but there are still a few things that if I were to do it again I would probably change them. The final painting has a size of approximately 10x14 inches, and it is watercolor (W&N and Daniel Smith) on Waterford 140 lb CP paper.





Bellow, I will show you a few of the step-by-step images I have taken, as this painting took me many days to finish it, and I managed to take intermediary scans.



The initial drawing on the watercolor paper, which however has been suffered a few changes in the next steps, as while working on the painting I figured out a few things would be better if changed (i.e. perspective of the table was off in the initial drawing).




Initial washes applied to the background with Antwerp blue and foreground with Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna.

Next washes applied to background to get more color variation, more burnt Sienna and Payne's Gray in the foreground, and I started to work on the underpainting of the pots.

Working out the pots from the most far, and adding colors


Color on the blue pots and a few details fixed in the background/foreground and additional washes. Also some of the initial washes on the red pot.

And the red pot worked with the final washes, plus minor details on the rest. You have already seen this at the beginning of this post.
I did enjoy pulling this one out very much, as the reference photo was very far from what I was looking for, and had many things to do from imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment