Wednesday 9 April 2014

Spring inspiration - Purple Crocuses (Crocus vernus)

The feeling of spring made me decide to chose a floral for the previous weekend WDE at WetCanvas. The selection of reference photos shared with us by katju was great, including blue pansies, yellow daffodils and purple crocuses (croci). I selected the purple crocuses photo, as for long time now I wished to paint some of them. Although this is not a wild species that is usually encountered in the Mediterranean area (Crocus sativus is well known in Greece, as it is documented by frescos found in Knossos - Crete), I still like them very much. I changed a bit the composition and worked differently the foliage and background compared to the original reference photo. The painting is done with my usual palette (combination of W&N, Daniel Smith and American Journey watercolor paints) on Waterford 140 lb CP paper, and has a size of approximately 7x10 inches. I wish you a sunny and happy Spring!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment