Monday 17 February 2014

Child portrait watercolor challenges - little grand daughter of Elaine

Elaine (aka Elainepsq), our host for the 7/8 February WDE (weekend drawing event) at WetCanvas, was so kind to share with us some great black and white photos, accompanying them with a few words from a demo book: "values do all the work, color takes all the credit". We all agreed that this is so true, and myself I undertook a double challenge - to try a child portrait and to make a color painting from the black and white photo! I have experienced child painting a few years ago, and I was kind of discouraged at the time, with so many difficulties - how to get the facial characteristics right, how to get the flesh tone mixes, that softness of the children skin was so difficult at the time, etc. Now, I am glad I did try again, as I am quite happy with this one. Of course, there are a few things I wished they would turn out differently, but I know that next one will be better, and I need to exercise more. So, this is the little grand daughter of Elaine, such a sweet and beautiful child, and I am so grateful to Elaine for sharing this personal photo with us! The painting has a size of approximately 8.5x7 inches, and it is done with W&N and Daniels Smith watercolors on Arches 140 lb CP paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment